Well hello everyone, long time no blog!
I took this photo ready to send out with our Christmas cards this year and it suddenly hit me how very fast time is flying by now Little Man is here. This year seems to have dragged by with the pregnancy but now it is over it is really whizzing by and I suddenly find I haven’t blogged for so very long and have so very much to tell you. So please excuse the bullet points, but it is the only way I will ever catch up!
- Little Man is now 9 weeks old. He had his first set of vaccinations last week, which went well. But he had a cold prior to them which made his usual snottiness even worse, so he hasn’t felt all that happy at times this past week. But we’re still getting smiles at the photo above proves 🙂
- We’ve started trying to move from feeding on demand to a routine of feeding every 3 hours now and he is taking to it really well. I was reluctant to put him into a set routine too early but actually he seems to be happier for it. As are we! Instead of fighting to get him to go to sleep by 1am and surviving on as little as 3 or 4 hours per night, he has suddenly started being put to bed between 8 and 9pm and falling asleep within the hour, only to wake us between 1am and 3am for a feed, and then going back to sleep again until 5 or 6am. This feels like a miracle!
- I am still getting the odd blocked duct, some which clear relatively easy with a bit of persuasion and some which still take hours to clear and one that we even had to burst the milk blister to in order to clear (OUCH!) I very almost lost my will to continue and we were looking at changing to mixed feeding, but since bringing in the routine my supply seems to be settling a little bit more and I am hoping that in turn the blockd ducts will become less of an issue too…
- I had my 6 week follow up from my tear at he hospital and my 8 week post-natal check with the GP and everything seems to be healing beautifully. I just had my bloods taken again to check that I am no longer anaemic and that my liver function has returned to normal after the cholestasis, and should hear about that within the next week.
- I also have an appointment next Tuesday to meet with someone to discuss what happenend during my pregnancy and to talk through the emotional implications of that. I am looking forward to that as it will be good to discuss it with someone who is there just to listen.
- I have now been to a couple of breastfeeding cafes here and have to say I enjoy getting out and meeting new mums. So I am now on the lookout for more groups as I want Little Man to spend more time with babies his own age. I’m thinking music groups will be perfect as the boy just loves to be sung to.
- Incidentally, there was a lady at yesterday’s group who had her baby 8 days late and she only wighed 6lbs something… she looked so tiny and fragile compared to what Little Man did. But then again he was over 3lbs heavier at birth so I guess my perception of what newborns normally look like is a little bit “off”.
I am sure there were other things I wanted to tell you. In fact there are so many things I know I want to tell you but they would be much better in posts of their own. But I need to go shower now while Little Man is still sleeping. So I’ll try and catch up again soon!